Know Your Limitations II: An Update on the Limitation Amendment Bill 2017
Speakers: Robert Phillips, Phillips Taglieri
- Video - Delivered on USB stick
Seminar delivered 10 August 2018
This seminar will discuss the amendments to the Limitations Act 1974 further to the passing of the Limitation Amendment Bill 2017.
- Avoid public liability claims by properly understanding limitation period laws.
Topics covered will include:
- The abolition of the limitation period for cases involving sexual abuse or serious physical abuse of minors.
- The abolition of the long stop provision following the 2004 amendments to the Limitation Act.
- The circumstances in which an extension of time may be granted to enable the commencement of proceedings after the 3-year limitation from the date of discoverability has expired.
- Modification of limitation issues in relation to personal injuries suffered by minors.
- The value of practitioner’s input in litigation reforms.
Chair: Alison Clues, Claims Manager, Law Society of Tasmania Professional Indemnity Insurance Scheme
CPD Guide: 1, PS/SL
About the Speaker
Robert Phillips is the principal of Phillips Taglieri. Robert was admitted to practice in February 1976 and has specialised in personal injury litigation since the late 1970s. He was instrumental in the introduction of the mediation rules in the Rules of Court. He has been a member of the Rule Committee of the Supreme Court since 1988. Over recent years Robert’s speciality has been catastrophic personal injury litigation.