Vicarious Trauma: Dealing with Confronting and Sexual Crimes
Speakers: Tim Marsh
- Video and Audio - online
- Powerpoint slides
Delivered at the Criminal Law Conference
1 March 2019
CPD Guide: 1, PS/PM
- Why do some cases get under our skin?
- What is Vicarious Trauma and how does it affect practitioners?
- My own experience of VT in the context of representing difficult clients in difficult cases
- How VT can be managed on an individual level
- How VT can be avoided on an organisational level
Some key messages:
- No-one is immune: there is a combination of practitioner, case and point in time that may result in the practitioner experiencing VT
- VT and resilience are inextricably linked. Strategies that focus on building personal resilience are a strong preventative of VT
- Waiting until a crisis happens means you end up dealing with more than the presenting issue. Knowing your limits and understanding the expectations you have of others is crucial to preventing VT.
Speaker: Tim Marsh, Chief Counsel, Victoria Legal Aid