Child Support Professional Skills - Binding Child Support Agreements and Recovery of Payments
Speakers: Catherine Devine, Barrister, Victorian Bar
- Video recording (warning - poor / low resolution video image, however PowerPoint embedded in video)
- PowerPoint in PDF - Child Support - Drafting Binding Agreements
- PowerPoint in PDF - School Fees in a Child Support Context
CPD: 3 (2 PS, 1 SL)
In this 3 hour seminar Catherine Devine looks at:
- Binding Child Support Agreements - tips and traps for the experienced family law practitioner including drafting difficult clauses
- Assisting family law practitioners to understand the complex processes in this area of law, and how to utilise them to their client's best advantage and outcome
- How to draft agreements and applications to Court
- Recovery of payments and enforcement
- The technical aspects of child support
- How to get through a review process
- When to, and when not to, go to Court
- Private school fees in a child support context
About the Speaker
Cath Devine was called to the Victorian Bar in May 2007 and practices solely in Family Law. Cath was nominated for and selected as a Finalist in the Lawyers Weekly “Sheahan Lock Junior Barrister Awards” in the “Women in the Law” Awards 2013, as one of the top five female barristers in Australia with less than 10 years’ experience at the Bar.
Cath has experience in all aspects of Family law, from divorce, property settlement and children's matters, to child support and Children's Court welfare matters. She has a particular interest in Child Support Agreements and departure applications. She has appeared as junior counsel, and on appeal on numerous occasions.
Cath's prior work includes: many applications to set aside Child Support Agreements.; drafting complex Child Support Agreements; advising clients in relation to same-sex relationships and sperm donor arrangements; appearing for culturally diverse and linguistically diverse clients; and sensitivity to difficult family and interpersonal situations.
Cath has appeared in one of the leading cases Hampson & Bailey  FCCA 1004 in setting aside Binding Child Support Agreements. Cath acted as Junior Counsel to Bruce Walmsley SC, successfully setting aside a Binding Child Support Agreement and obtaining Court Orders for school fees, Adult Child Maintenance, and departure from the administrative assessment.